[Dxspider-support] Baffled

David A Wilson n4dw at juno.com
Sat Nov 3 14:31:40 GMT 2001

Hi All,

A subtitle to this message could very well be "Someone, PLEASE, Adopt a
Dummy".

Have two nearly identical AMD K6-2's networked (on the same MB).   One at
350 mhz, the other at 500.  One with 128meg ram, the other with 256 meg.
30 gig HD, 40 gig HD.  2xCDRom, 50xCDRom.  One with sound, the other
without.  Both run WinME & have 3-1/2" drives.

One has Spider version 1.47 build 50.247 running for the past 2-1/2
months through AGWPE / tnc to local logins - AX25.  Been working great,
only a couple of lockups or crashes.  This machine is in the garage
(doubles as shack).  This machine has no modem or phone access.  Programs
I run: 1> AGWPE, 2> perl cluster.pl, 3> perl winclient.pl..  Node is
N1HEJ, sysop is N4DW.  I get a response to the command "who":

  Callsign Type      Started           Name     Ave RTT Link
      K4KU USER      28-Oct-2001 1547Z sherman a.
     N1HEJ NODE DXSP 26-Oct-2001 2250Z Dave
      N4DW USER      28-Oct-2001 0114Z Dave             127.0.0.1

Second has Spider version 1.48 build 56.765 running since last weekend.
Have finally gotten this one to where it is acting like a cluster.  This
machine is in the house and has modem and phone line.  I can connect to
telnet://wr3d.dxcluster.net:7000 with no difficulty from "START", "RUN".
(this was automatically set up when I clicked on something while reading
through the Spider literature on line).  Again, I run: 1> AGWPE, 2> perl
cluster.pl, 3> perl winclient.pl..  Node is N4DW, sysop is N4DW-1.  (Hmm,
see probable conflict).  This morning is the first I've been able to get
a response to "who": (please don't ask what I did to finally get that to
happen)

  Callsign Type      Started           Name     Ave RTT Link
      N4DW NODE DXSP  3-Nov-2001 1307Z Dave
    N4DW-1 USER       3-Nov-2001 1312Z Dave             127.0.0.1
N4DW-1 de N4DW  3-Nov-2001 1322Z >

I note the two IP addresses are the same and know this cannot be, but
don't know where to make the change(s?) in one to something like
127.0.0.2.

I have been unable to get console.pl to run on either machine.  Saw a
thread about downloading curses 1.06, did so, but don't have a clue where
it needs to be, although I put from the download into /spider/local based
on seeing what I believe to be a path definition somewhere, possibly
console.pl.  Also note that console.pl is looking for curses 1.05, tried
changing that to no avail.

Will console.pl run under windows?

In my trying to get console.pl to run I saw something about putting
programs in /local and data in /local_cmd or reverse.  Tried that with
console.pl, but it appears that when In c:\spider\perl and I execute perl
console.pl the console.pl in perl directory executes, because the changes
I made in the copy in local don't happen.

I used to think I was so durned ignorant I couldn't be confused, now it
seems like I'm on the cutting edge of confused.

I sure could use the help of someone who has a better grasp than I of how
this thing is supposed to work and where all the settings need to be
entered and if something like the sysop thing needs to be executed before
a change will take effect.

Understanding the theory of operation a little better is my first goal,
then I can get on to things like:
1>Logging into N1HEJ from the pc inside
2>Using the modem inside, allow N1HEJ to connect to a telnet node like
wr3d.
3>If that is not possible, then have N4DW connect to the telnet node and
have N4DW & N1HEJ on the network talking together.

When I execute cluster.pl on the inside machine (N4DW) I get:  (note the
one "bad command or file name" msg)
(I also recall being told to ignore the first two errors)

C:\spider\perl>perl cluster.pl
"EINPROGRESS" is not exported by the Errno module at /spider/perl/Msg.pm
line 53

"EWOULDBLOCK" is not exported by the Errno module at /spider/perl/Msg.pm
line 53

Copyright (c) 1998-2001 Dirk Koopman G1TLH
DXSpider Version 1.48, build 56.765 started
starting listeners ...
Internal port: localhost 27754
External Port: 0.0.0.0 7300
AGW initialising and connecting to 127.0.0.1/80 ...
Cannot connect to AGW Engine at 127.0.0.1/80 Unknown error
load badwords: Ok
Bad command or file name
reading in duplicate spot and WWV info ...
DXChannel N4DW created (1)
reading existing message headers ...
load badmsg: Ok
load forward: Ok
load swop: Ok
@msg = 0 before delete
@msg = 0 after delete
reading cron jobs ...
cron: reading /spider/cmd/crontab
cron: adding 1 0 * * 0 DXUser::export("$main::data/user_asc")
cron: adding 5 0 * * * DXDebug::dbgclean()
cron: adding 0 3 * * * Spot::daily()
reading database descriptors ...
doing local initialisation ...
cleaning out old debug files
orft we jolly well go ...

When I execute cluster.pl on the shack machine (N1HEJ) I get:

C:\Spider\perl>perl cluster.pl
"EINPROGRESS" is not exported by the Errno module at /spider/perl/Msg.pm
line 46

"EWOULDBLOCK" is not exported by the Errno module at /spider/perl/Msg.pm
line 46

DXSpider Version 1.47, build 50.247 started
Copyright (c) 1998-2001 Dirk Koopman G1TLH
starting listeners ...
Internal port: localhost 27754
External Port: 0.0.0.0 7300
AGW initialising and connecting to 127.0.0.1/8000 ...
load badwords: Ok
reading in duplicate spot and WWV info ...
DXChannel N1HEJ created (1)
@msg = 1 before delete
@msg = 1 after delete
reading cron jobs ...
cron: reading /spider/cmd/crontab
cron: adding 1 0 * * 0 DXUser::export("$main::data/user_asc")
reading database descriptors ...
doing local initialisation ...
orft we jolly well go ...
queue msg (0)
AGW Register N1HEJ Successful

Oh, I have a zip drive on the shack pc, so don't be afraid to tell me to
save something completely and install something else on either machine.
Starting over is an option for one or both machines.

I know this is a lot, but I sure could use a hand with any or all of it.
And, be aware, a single response is liable to trigger 5 more questions.

Thanks,
Dave
n4dw at juno.com