[Dxspider-support] Client and it's use?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 21:15:28 BST 2000

On 28-Mar-2000 Arnold Bosch [pa4ab] wrote:
> Hello Dirk and others,
>
> Can the 'client' program be used to act as a daemon from within
> /etc/inetd.conf? I now use 'client.pl' for that purpose. I tried to
> change my current line in /etc/inetd.conf from client.pl to the
> client executable but had no success.
>
> Another thing is that I would like to use the client executable
> from within /etc/ax25/node.conf or /etc/ax25/ax25d.conf to connect
> (via telnet) to my dxspider machine (they are different machines).
>
> Something like:
>

> splnx src]$ ./client -h dxspider.pa4ab.net pa4ab login
> 2nd argument must be "telnet" or "ax25" or "local"
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

1. You only need a -h if you have changed $clusteraddr in DXVars.pm to
something other than 'localhost'.

2. You can be pa4ab or login, not both. On the version you have login doesn't
work.

./client pa4ab

should work on a normal installation.

> splnx src]$ ./client -h dxspider.pa4ab.net pa4ab telnet
> Error on connect to dxspider.pa4ab.net port 27754 (61)
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>

> splnx src]$ ./client -h dxspider.pa4ab.net -p 8000 pa4ab telnet
> Message size too big from node (27759 > 1024)

Why port 8000? have you changed $clusterport in DXVars.pm?

> client.pl runs on port 8000 and gives a loginprompt if I connect to
> it via telnet?
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

Don't know, but the -h and -p args are for connecting TO the cluster.pl that
is running and should not be used unless you are doing something unusual
(such as allowing direct DXSpider protocol connections from remote machines
which is only done AFAIK on one node in the UK).

An example for inetd.conf would be:-

gb7djk stream tcp nowait djk /spider/src/client client GB7DJK-1 telnet

where 'gb7djk' is defined in my /etc/services as:-

9999    gb7djk/tcp

Does this help at all?

Dirk-Jan Koopman, Tobit Computer Co Ltd
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find
at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.