[Dxspider-support] permisions ?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 15:18:12 BST 2000

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Greetings,
> I've just installed dxspider, with a few probs
>
> the CPAN packages Curses-1.02 & IO-1.20 do not compile with  Perl 5.6, ,
> they do seem to compile under Perl 5.005 OK , but cant start console.pl
> as it cant find Curses.pl. Could someone please send me this file.

You don't need IO-1.20 if you are using perl 5.6 and you should be using
Curses -1.05 which is what the website now says (I believe the instructions
in the actual tarball are correct).

> Telneting in on port 8000 , I can only get a connection to DXSp. using
> "tel 127.0.0.1 8000" from either console or from awznode,
> This says its connected , but nothing happens..no prompt or anything.
> If I type anything once in this connected state, DXsp. reports
> "DUFF Line from UN.KNOWN:<text I sent>%OD"
> I've been through the HowTo several times, but cant see anything I've
> missed.
> Incomming telnets from anywhere except localhost are refused, that why I
> suspect its a permissions thing.

You haven't set up the command line that calls the client correctly, it
should be called as '/spider/src/client %u ax25' where %u is the callsign
without ssid  for ax25d (and I presume for azwnode - never used it), mine
looks like:-

default  * * * * * *  - sysop /spider/src/client client %u ax25

For telnet you need to put lines in inetd.conf like:-

gb7udx stream tcp nowait sysop /spider/src/client client gb7udx telnet
spider stream tcp nowait sysop /spider/src/client client LOGIN telnet

where gb7udx and spider are defined as ports in /etc/services, the first one
ties it down to gb7udx, the second allows a login: prompt. Good practise says
that you should use tcpd if you have no other logging or control methods
availbable to you eg:-

spider stream tcp nowait sysop /usr/sbin/tcpd /spider/src/client LOGIN telnet

I have other means :-)

If you are using tcpd then check your /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny files
and make sure that they are set up right for the ports that you have opened
(tcpdmatch is a useful test for this).

> System running is RedHat 6.1 kernel 2.2.16, axutils locally compiled and
> installed on the same machine.
>
> Totally unrelated to this group...
> I've run out of virtual consoles on this machine due to use of listen &
> monitorins sessions for tnos ,FBB  etc..
> is there a way of using tty13 -23 using the AltGr key to change between
> virtual consoles?

Sorry don't know, try enabling them and fiddling with
alt-ctrl-F1/alt-shift-F1 (or use X).

Which GB7 call are you going to use this for? Or is it a personal one?

Dirk G1TLH