[Dxspider-support] Long mail/bulletin messages

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 09:20:04 BST 2001

On Wednesday 04 April 2001 02:17, you wrote:
> I'm using the latest version of the Windows version and noticed a potential
> problem with long mail & bulletin messages.  I sent a message that
> contained about 32/33 PC29s from an AK1A node.  To another AK1A node this
> works fine as it has for years.  When I attempt to send that same message
> to my DXSpider node (W1HR), the message never arrives at W1HR.  Since the
> AK1A node is only about 5 feet away from W1HR, I can see the packets on
> displays at both ends.  It appears that the complete message is leaving the
> AK1A, but not ending up in DXSpider.  As a result, the AK1A node eventually
> times out on that message.  One other thing.  There is an intermediate
> gateway between the AK1A node and the W1HR node.  This gateway is my access
> to the internet and handles the interface between the COM port from the
> AK1A node to the gateway and the 10BaseT lan from the gateway to the W1HR
> node.  That being said, here's what's ending up at the W1HR gateway.

I have looked at the debug log you sent and it is pretty obvious that what we
have here is a buffer overflow problem in AGW Engine.

There is a short term work around which is to reduce the number of PC29s you
send in a 'tranche'. The AK1A (and DXSpider) default is 5 and that seems to
work just fine (I expect you could get away with setting it to 10 :-).

Other than that I suppose I am going to have to implement flow control inside
the app (which I have to say doesn't please me very much as, everywhere else,
the operating system handles this).