[Dxspider-support] crontab, filtering ann, clear filters !

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 12:45:38 BST 2001

On 21 Apr 2001 11:50:53 +0200, Roland  Huysentruyt wrote:

> In AK1A I use the hourly.cmd to give a ann to all users exactly at the hour.
> In hourly.cmd  I have  :  ann CLUSTER ON0DXK JO10PV
> This is what I want to do in the crontab.
>

> Ok,I had already found out the "rm" way to remove the filters.
> I noticed also when changing filters on a connected node spider may crash but this is not a problem
> if we know hi ...

Really? rm'ing the filter files shouldn't make any difference to the
node. It only ever reads them either when a user/node connects or when
you change them.

> Sorry Dirk , if I am the only one having problems with the filters but I have an other problem
> with the spot filtering.I think I need a manuel for dummys hi !

It is erm... very flexible.

> For testpurposes I have a link with pi5ehv-8.
> Just as a test I want to refuse all wordwide spots from pi5ehv-8.
> I do: acc/ann pi5ehv-8 input by_zone_14,15,16
> sh/filter pi5ehv-8  shows :  PI5EHV-8 spots input
>                                           filter1 accept by_zone 14,15,16

Now I am hoping that this is a typo but doing an acc/ann should show:-

PI5EHV-8 announce input
         filter1 accept by_zone 14,15,16

not 'spots input' (which won't work because spots aren't filtered for
input [yet]). As I said in my previous missive: 'input' only works for
announce, just now.

> As user ON6HH I still receive the WW spots !
> I need to set my own filter the same way and then it works.

In the event that the show filter is correct and, depending on your
policy, this is what you use the 'user_default' for. If you do:-

acc/spots user_default by_zone 14,15,16

That will mean that every user who does NOT have a spot filter will get
spots only from EU.

Alternatively you leave the default as everything and have an EU filter
just for yourself.

> Is this normal ?
> I will need also to prevent ww-spots to be send to db0spc-8.
> Is this ok :  acc/spots db0spc-8 by_zone 14,15,16  ???

Yes. That is exactly correct. As a matter of interest, he can change his
own filter by rcmd (ie rcmd/on0dxk acc/spot by_zone 14,15,16,20 [a bit
more of EU]). He is, for filtering purposes, a user so he can change his
own (but not other peoples') filters

I have tried explain to people in the past (before you started, Roland)
the philosophy of how DXSpider works in this area. I think it can bear a
repeat.

What you have to consider is that DXSpider attempts to maximise the
information available (in terms of spots, announces etc) and brings them
together into one central pool. It will then send that 'maximised' pool
to everybody that wants it.

Any filtering then restricts some of that information going out to
individual connections (whether they be users or nodes). These are
'output' or normal filters.

For announces, for historical reasons, there is the possibility of
restricting which announces actually make it to the central pool. This
was done originally long before the current filtering arrangements were
in place and because, in the UK, most people didn't want to see
announcements of any kind and, especially, NONE from EU.

Actually, because the idea of a DXSpider network is maximise the
information shared between nodes and with the user/node default
filtering arrangements, you can implement the UK requirement without
input filtering. The announces (at least on DXSpider nodes) would then
still be available for those rare UK users that wanted to see them all.

Having said that, input filtering isn't going to go away and I will
probably implement input filtering for spots soon as, sometimes, it is a
lot simpler to do that than work it all out otherwise.

But the next big thing is 'route' filtering, viz: the ability to filter
both on input and output the PC16,17,19,21 that come in and go out.
Coupled with this will be the possibility of deliberate 'loops' with
nodes and users appearing on multiple active connections. This is what
1.48 is targeted to do.

We want to have the ability for people to SAFELY see (and send talk
messages to) everybody connected to the EU and maybe, when I get it
right, the WW cluster.

This was actually the original design goal of DXSpider. I am now,
finally, in a position to implement it.

Dirk G1TLH