[Dxspider-support] Sysop Password

Rene Olsen rene_olsen at post3.tele.dk
Mon Dec 31 21:23:08 GMT 2001

Hi Fred.

> Where (or how) does one set the initial password, in order to use the SYSOP
> command?  I can get my full access privledges is I log in with the proper call
> from the system unit (running console.pl), or even when I SSH in and run
> console.pl, but I'd like to be able to do so from a standard telnet connection
> if necessary.

You will have to set the password for the user that you want to use the sysop command.
You simply use the command "set/password xxxxxxxxxxxx". I am not sure how many
caracters tou can have, but I have 40 here at my node. When using the sysop
command on a ax25 connection, DXSpider sends 5 numbers, and you must send the
coresponding letters from the password you have set. I think that if you use telnet and
use the sysop command, you will have to enter the entire password. In this case it might
not be so good to make it 40 caracters long :-) But I am sure someone can say if this is
true. I have no telnet access to my DXSpider so I can't tell you.

Vy 73 de Rene / OZ1LQH