[Dxspider-support] bug in Spot::formatb

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 11:35:16 GMT 2001

On Mon, 2001-11-12 at 09:38, Filip Jonckers wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> probably a very small bug...
> but could be a possible source of dupe spots
> if someone has a user connection to a spider
>
> saw this spot:
>
> DX de VR2XMT:    50150.0  GM0PLH       noise here QSY back 160
> 0925Z
> DX de ON4NA:     21253.6  JH4TEW       KAZU INNOSHIMA ISL AS 117 IF N
> 0927Z
> DX de F8TSV:     14023.1  VK3XU        cw >50w 599
> 0926Z
>
> noticed that the text of the ON4NA spot was 1 char too long
> looking at the code, there is no maximum length defined
>
> perl/Spot.pm line 276:
> return sprintf "DX de %-7.7s%11.1f  %-12.12s %-29s %s$loc", "$_[4]:",
> $_[0], $_[1], $_[3], $t ;
>
> should probably be:
> return sprintf "DX de %-7.7s%11.1f  %-12.12s %-29.29s %s$loc", "$_[4]:",
> $_[0], $_[1], $_[3], $t ;

This is a subject of some debate. It is the way it is because I
(currently) think that is the way it should be. I considered doing it
the way you suggest but rejected it.

The argument goes something like this:-

1) What comes in, either goes out exactly as it comes in or is dropped
(not sent anywhere).

2) If there is some user displayable content then it should ALL be
displayed (as all of it may be relevant).

3) I don't approve of spot suckers using user links. I am NOT going to
modify my behaviour to make their job easier (which isn't particularly
hard anyway). I can write programs that cope with 'overlength' comments,
so why can't they? (This goes for the DXTelnet/other 'user' programs as
well BTW).

4) The only places that would have dupe problems is in other software
that doesn't adhere to the standards which the modern cluster software
authors have agreed to. AK1A has dupe problems - period.

> You see Dirk, I'm already going through a lot of code...
> b.t.w. very nice written !

Thank you very much.

Dirk G1TLH