[Dxspider-support] File forwarding and other questions

John Clayton g4pdq at arrl.net
Mon Nov 19 20:40:44 GMT 2001

In message <1006172452.997.28.camel at dirk2.int.tobit.co.uk>, Dirk Koopman
<djk at tobit.co.uk> writes
>On Sun, 2001-11-18 at 23:16, John Clayton wrote:
>> However, it means that users on "the other side" of a limited protocol
>> connection from the sender will not receive the message as the
>> originating node may never see them logged on.
>
>There are very few "active" limited protocol connections in the DXSpider
>connected network. It isn't a concept that applies, very much, anymore.
>Furthermore, with internet connectivity becoming the norm, rather than
>the exception, I believe "limited-protocol" will largely go away.

"Largely" probably, yes, "completely", I am not so sure.

>That is not say that I regard the current mail characteristics as ideal
>(or even "alright", never mind "good") and I will be addressing that at
>some point in the future when I have good the basics of NP off the
>ground.
>
>There are a whole host of problems with mail, files etc that need to be
>addressed - most of these are linked to the totally inadequate protocol
>currently in use.
>
>I will get around to it (or is that a round tuit?).
>
>> It also means that mail to a "pseudo" address (ie an addressee that is
>> set up for a specific purpose and does not actually log on) does not get
>> delivered. we had such an address in the UK network which has worked
>> fine for years. It is DX1QSL, set up so that users can send a message
>> addressed to it requesting QSL information. The message would be
>> forwarded to GB7DXC and then processed on GB7DXC and any info pertaining
>> to the message would be automatically returned to the user in a mail
>> message.  This system has now ceased to work.  No on was informed that
>> the system was being altered - we had to wait for users to complain that
>> they were not getting answers to their messages.
>
>If you connected your 'pseudo' address to your cluster as a user or
>otherwise caused a PC16 for that address to be emitted then you would
>get your mail.
>
>This doesn't seem to me to be very hard, nor is it IMHO much of an
>imposition.

I have now arranged with Martin (G0HDB) that DX1QSL is set up as an
"alias" for GB7DXC on GB7DXC. That should work.

Can I make a plea for anything which changes the existing facilities to
be at least published, even if not discussed, on one of the reflectors
please.

CHeers for now de John, G4PDQ.
--
John Clayton