[Dxspider-support] Mail problems

John Clayton g4pdq at arrl.net
Thu Oct 11 17:13:30 BST 2001

Sorry, think this should have gone to "support" rather than "announce"
list.

In message <1002797643.3068.988.camel at dirk2.int.tobit.co.uk>, Dirk
Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> writes
>On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 09:30, John Clayton wrote:
>> HI Dirk,
>>
>> 1.  On several occasions recently, mail which was expected on GB7DXC
>> each morning has not been there and a search of the Clusters on the
>> paths across which it should travel have not turned it up.  It has,
>> however arrived some time later (sometimes over 24 hours later).  Any
>> ideas please?
>>

>No.
>
>> 2.  This morning a message sent from GB7CDX at midnight was not on
>> GB7DXC so I did the following :-
>>
>> RCMD/GB7DXM DIR/2 GB7DXC
>> RCMD/GB7BAA DIR 2 TO GB7DXC
>> RCMD/GB7DJK DIR 2 TO GB7DXC
>> RCMD/GB7MRS DIR 2 TO GB7DXC
>> RCMD/GB7CDX DIR/3 GB7DXC
>>

>> The replies received were :-
>>
>> GB7BAA: 69208Dp  293   GB7DXC   GB7CDX 10-Oct 0000Z Messages for
>> yesterday.
>> GB7BAA: 69226Dp  704   GB7DXC   GB7YDX 11-Oct 0000Z Messages for
>> yesterday.
>> GB7DJK:your attempt is logged, Tut tut tut...!
>>
>> (and no replies from anyone further down the chain.)
>>
>> Message nr 69208 is the missing message and message 69226 had been
>> received on GB7DXC overnight.
>>
>> Can you please enlighten me as to why they might have got stuck on BAA
>> and also what the "D" means after the message number.
>
>It means it has been deleted and is waiting for a period before actually
>being removed (two days as standard).
>
>As it is a personal, addressed to DXC and deleted, I would rather expect
>that it has already been delivered to you.

I assure you it had not - that was why I posted this message!

>> It would also appear that the problem of INITing is still with us as the
>> "Tut tut" from DJK suggests that all is not well.  After I did a
>> RCMD/GB7BAA INIT GB7DJK, I could get answers back from DJK.
>>

>The INIT command is deprecated. Please disconnect GB7DJK from BAA. If
>you can INIT, then you can disconnect. At some time soon the INIT
>command will go away (or at least not work for inter-spider
>connections).

But the point I am trying to make is that somewhere, somehow, two Spider
clusters are apparently getting their knickers in a twist about what is
"the setup" between them.  Isn't this an inherent problem?  Shortly
after I did the RCMD/GB7BAA INIT GB7DJK three messages (all originated
overnight) arrived on GB7DXC - one from GB7DXH, one from GB7BPQ and the
one from GB7CDX quoted above).  How is this explained?

>Dirk G1TLH

John Clayton

--
John Clayton