[Dxspider-support] DIR/N Confusion

g3orh g3orh at ic24.net
Sun Oct 21 08:58:41 BST 2001

Hi List,

                 Generally my users are happy with DXSpider. However there
is one variable confusion for quite a few of them. This is the DIR/N
command. Some users mostly use dir/n and they report finding that some
new messages are not included in the cluster output with that command.
        Some others report doing dir/n on two consecutive days and getting
an identical list to the previous day.

Question: 1) What process keeps track of which messages each user has
                    had displayed with the dir/n command.
                2) Does the dir/n command only cover new messages which
                    have come in over the last 24 hours , instead of
displaying
                    all new messages since the user last used the command ?

This is causing a lot of confusion with my users who were weaned on AK1A
which kept track of such things. As sysop I have to rely on this user input
as I get everything displayed anyway so don't get the same display as them.
My remote sysop was the first to notice this when he did dir/n as a user ,
followed by dir/n after claiming his sysop rights and seeing the messages
which were missing as a user.

- Regards Colin   (73's)
- g3orh at ic24.net