[Dxspider-support] Telnet Help

Jim Johnson jim at kc4hw.net
Thu Feb 14 12:58:24 GMT 2002

Hello Everyone!

After a good amount of time, I have gotten back to the DXSpider system.
I have upgraded to RH7.2 and DXSpider 1.49.  This is running behind a
linksys router.

The node appeared to run fine until I started trying to allow user telnet
connections.

With the Linksys you have to disable DHCP and assign an IP address to
each machine, plus different Lan IP (?) .  (I think) by default the Linksys
assigned 192.168.1.1 as the Lan IP.

In RH I used the Network Configurator to disable dhcp and assigned eth0
address 192.168.1.125.  When I did this RH automatically assigned
192.168.1.0 as the network address and 255.255.255.0 as the subnet.

Is Lan IP and Network Address the same?

The DXSpider lost its connection to the internet.  So I presumed that I
have to change the Lan IP address to 192.168.1.0 on the Linksys.  When
I tried to do that, I got an error indicating that the Lan IP address had to
be in the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 to xxx.xxx.xxx.255 range.

How do you change the network address on RH?  Now I suppose it has
to be changed to something else?

Anyone have any help here?  Thanks!

Jim Johnson, Melbourne, Florida
jim at kc4hw.net - http://www.kc4hw.net