[Dxspider-support] Got to ask the right question!! AX25?

Ian J Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Mon Feb 25 19:00:53 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 16:39, Jim Johnson wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Am trying to migrate from "PacketCluster(tm) to DX Spider.  The
> PacketCluster node has been running with BPQ and a KISS TNC on
> Com1 for user connections.
>
> Am running DXSpider 1.49, build 56.887 on a RedHat 7.1 with kernel
> 2.4.14, patched with 15, 16, and 17.  I used the rpm(s) that Ian/G0VGS
> recommends from the Admin manual for the AX25 stuff.  KISS TNC is
> located on Com2.  I only have one RF port for user connections.
>
> First question:  Does one have to configure netrom?  I placed # in front
> of the lines defining netrom.  ax25d complains that port netrom not active.
> I checked ps and ax25d is running.
Hi Jim,
No, you do not have to have netrom.  If you don't want it, simply do not
define it anywhere.  I suspect you have an entry for it in ax25d.conf?

> Second question:  Is ttyS1 same as Com2?
Yes, ttyS0 is com1 and ttyS1 is com2 and so on

> Third question:  Here is my user connection script--is it OK?
>
> Timeout 60
> abort (Busy|Sorry|Fail)
> connect ax25 w4ks
> '*** conn' 'C W4KS'
You don't need the second line if it is only a straight connect and the
first line is incorrect.  It should read

Timeout 60
abort (Busy|Sorry|Fail)
connect ax25 /usr/sbin/ax25_call VHF your_call target_call
'connect' ''
client target_call ax25

> I did issue command  kissattach /dev/ttyS1 VHF 44.98.32.39 and get a
> response back that AX.25 port VHF bound to devise ax0 and set the
> kissparms suggested by G0VGS.  When I attempt a connection to
> W4KS, I get no indication that the TNC is working.  The connection
> attempt timeout.
it sounds like the com port is attached ok then.  Which TNC are you
using?  If you try a connect out via ax25 like this ..

call -r VHF target_call

do you see the tx light?

I hope that helps, I think I got it all correct.  I am sure someone will
tell me if I got it wrong ;-)
Ian

 Ian Maude G0VGS Morecambe Lancs UK | ian at gb7mbc.net
 Sysop of GB7MBC, the Morecambe Bay Cluster
 Running Linux and DXSpider