[Dxspider-support] Telnet Port 23 access

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jan 1 21:38:24 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-01 at 19:43, Fred Allstadt wrote:Thanks for your input.
I was just thinking, there may be another way around it, by using a
little Linux 'black magic' -- redirecting port 23 to 8000 with
IPTABLES.  This could maintain some security by still running DXSpider
under sysop:spider, yet allow ports <1000 to access DXSpider.  I'm new
to Linux, but I'll see if I can come up with a solution, and pass it
along.  Anyone who wants to input, please do so.

That is certainly possible.

BTW, when I mentioned clients, I was referring to the client programs
that users would use to access my cluster (Window's telnet, NetTerm,
DXTelnet, etc.; as well as those built in to logging programs, Like
Logger and WriteLog).  I found the installation instructions to be
pretty detailed and accurate.  Installation scripts have their own
inherent problems, unless you write them for a very specific platform.

My experience is that all of the above are actually capable of being
configured to talk to arbitrary ports. People are already using them on
DXSpider systems that are on "funny" ports.

73, and the best for 2002

And a HNY to you.