[Dxspider-support] Ping problem

charlie carroll k1xx at ptcnh.net
Mon Jul 29 04:26:08 BST 2002

Dirk:
Here's an item for a rainy day when you are bored and want something to
do!

For some time I had noticed that the ping command did not aways work.
Successive pings to a node in a short period of time, seconds between
each ping, would not get an answer.  After some longer period of time, I
would get a ping response.  Tonight I was able to log into the next node
in a chain and use watchdbg to see what was happening.  Here's the
scenario...

k1xx > node#1 > node#2 > node#3

If I ping node#1 in rapid succession, I get answers to each ping.
If I ping node#2 or #3, in rapid succession, I do not get an answer.
However, after some period of time, measured in minutes, I do get an
answer.
   Ping Returned from node#2 193.80 (Ave 193.80) secs
   Ping Returned from node#2 184.88 (Ave 184.88) secs
   Ping Returned from node#2 0.40 (Ave 0.40) secs

Looking at watchdbg on node#1, I see the PC51s come in from my node.
However, the PC51 are not sent on to node#2.  They die at node#1.

BTW, this is not a recent occurance with this latest version.  The
problem has been around for some time.

73 charlie, k1xx