[Dxspider-support] Ping problem

Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) G8TIC mike.tubby at thorcom.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 11:46:50 BST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie carroll" <k1xx at ptcnh.net>
To: <dxspider-support at dxcluster.org>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 4:26 AM
Subject: [Dxspider-support] Ping problem

> Dirk:
> Here's an item for a rainy day when you are bored and want something to
> do!
>
> For some time I had noticed that the ping command did not aways work.
> Successive pings to a node in a short period of time, seconds between
> each ping, would not get an answer.  After some longer period of time, I
> would get a ping response.  Tonight I was able to log into the next node
> in a chain and use watchdbg to see what was happening.  Here's the
> scenario...
>
> k1xx > node#1 > node#2 > node#3
>
> If I ping node#1 in rapid succession, I get answers to each ping.
> If I ping node#2 or #3, in rapid succession, I do not get an answer.
> However, after some period of time, measured in minutes, I do get an
> answer.
>    Ping Returned from node#2 193.80 (Ave 193.80) secs
>    Ping Returned from node#2 184.88 (Ave 184.88) secs
>    Ping Returned from node#2 0.40 (Ave 0.40) secs
>
> Looking at watchdbg on node#1, I see the PC51s come in from my node.
> However, the PC51 are not sent on to node#2.  They die at node#1.
>
> BTW, this is not a recent occurance with this latest version.  The
> problem has been around for some time.
>
> 73 charlie, k1xx

Have seen this problem, and a related one event on TCP/IP (internet) linked
spider boxes for around 6 months or so.

There's another variant where the first/second ping doesn't get a reply, but
then if you comeback say a day later and do a third ping you get a reply
for the first one which is then over 24 hours old. In this case there stuck
out of sequence, like the PC51's are buffered wrongly at the next hop
outgoing.

Mike G8TIC/GB7BAA