[Dxspider-support] Linux Kernel Build Woes

richard bown richard.bown at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 09:45:32 GMT 2002

Hi both the kernels you have tried have problems with the ax25 utils
infact, the kernel which has the fixes in is 2.4.19-pre2.
Personally I would wait just a couple of weeks, thereis a new release of
one of the distro's, mandrake8.2, I know Tomi M's patch goes into the
madk kernel on 2.4.18-4mdk.
\You install by rpm's as with redhat. Redhat 7.1 is getting long in the
tooth, and you may fingd problems with graphis card drivers, especially
Nvidia and to some extent ATI cards as there are major changes to
XFree4.2..
One the subject of compiling kernels, you can be real lazy if the distro
your using supplies a ready built kernel complete with modules.

sorta
insmod ax25
insmod netrom
insmod mkiss.

The lazy way can be usefull as there have been screwups with gcc, and
kgcc and the versions, gcc dont use later than 2.96..

ax25utils
Craig has just released a new version of ax25-apps,
go to www.sourceforge.net to get ax25-tools, ax25-apps & libax25,
and when installing read the file maked INSTALL in each dir.

Linux dev is moving fast, so expect a few hick-ups,,,Dirk I did thnk of
another word but refrained,

You'll get lots of suggestions you should run SuSE as it suppose to be
Ham friendly...IMHO rubbish
Ie put index finger of left hand under nose, and in line with mouth.
raise right arm straight at an angle of 45 degs, keep fingers straight
and say "ja I vill obey yast, und yast zwie"
I've no opion on slackware, I hav'nt used it, and debian is getting a
bit dated,
so if you have already cut your teeth on redhat 7.1 either look at
updating to RH 7.2, watch for 7.3 mandrake and redhat normally release
close to each other, or mandrake8.2. the later is in beta4 release at he
moment, and useable and free.

up to you
HTH will kernel info

73 richard