[Dxspider-support] Questions

Colin Harris charis.g3orh at virgin.net
Sat May 4 18:58:03 BST 2002

Hi Charlie and others.

                    Well I hadn't read /spider/html/cron.html but I had a
printed copy of it anyway so that file told me nothing new. The key factor
shown in that file is the comment "Commands are actually small snippets of
Perl". The  various suggested commands have all been used/tried and I have
"invented" one or two of my own but as  said I do NOT know any programming
language and that includes Perl. Do I really HAVE to learn Perl in order to
make full use of crontab in a "Spider" context ?  As I  am more often up to
my armpits in engine oil and muck while renovating a couple of M/cycles and
also chancing my arm ( sort of death wish 2 ) working "live" on a linear
with 3.5 KV floating around there isn't a lot of time to venture down
programming paths. It would seem more than possible to engineer
auto-alternate inter-cluster connects but /spider/html/cron.html doesn't
provide the relevant information as far as I can see when "grouping"
sequential commands with "lockout safety features" are required.

I cannot be the only one in this technological bracket where programming is
concerned , surely !

- Regards Colin