[Dxspider-support] Startup Errors and Subsequent Crash

Dave Hawes dave.n3rd at comcast.net
Thu Nov 7 00:38:25 GMT 2002

Running Build 57.146 on Win98Se

system.
2.  Possibly corrupt dupefile causing crash upon receipt of PC11.

Here is a clip from the debug file of what I saw this morning:

1036556301^orft we jolly well go ...
1036556301^queue msg (0)
1036556301^Msgno 2 expunged
1036556301^Msgno 3 expunged
1036556301^Msgno 4 expunged
1036556301^Msgno 5 expunged
1036556301^Msgno 6 expunged
1036556301^Use of uninitialized value in numeric ge (>=) at
/spider/perl/DXDupe.pm line 78.
[There were a total of 228 lines in the debug file, exactly the same as
the above line.  Deleted to save space in this e-mail.]
1036556308^AGW Register W3FRC Successful

First, I only had messages 2-6 in the directory, and they were all
deleted upon startup of Spider.  This bug has been reported by
others, and I now join that group.  The message system is pretty much
useless in its current state.

Then, the node crashed soon after, apparently upon the receipt of a
PC11 (DX spot).

Since the startup errors were from the DXDupe.pm file, I suspected
something wrong with the dupe system.  I found the file "dupefile" and
deleted it.  It was over 40M in size.  Is that a proper size?  Is this file
something we as sysops need to watch in some way?  Anyway, after
deleting the dupefile file, Spider started normally with no errors, and
continues to this writing (only about 45 minutes).

73 - Dave N3RD