[Dxspider-support] Msg Madness - Resolved

Dave Hawes dave.n3rd at comcast.net
Thu Nov 7 22:02:50 GMT 2002

As reported below, I was having daily troubles with the messaging
system getting hosed up on my node.  The "daily" part of my problem
caused me to ponder what Spider was doing daily, especially
overnight, since it appeared that things were fine at bedtime, but in a
mess in the morning.

Then it hit me:  My disk backup program (recently installed) runs
overnight.

After some experimentation, it appears that the settings that I chose
were not compatible with Spider.  Details:

Program:  Second Copy (shareware)
Copy Method:  Synchronize
Additional:  Set archive bit on source file after copy

I changed the method to "Exact Copy" and unchecked the "set archive
bit" option.  Spider's message system survived several manual runs
on the backup routine, so I am confident that this was the source of
the trouble.

I do not know for sure whether it was the synchronize or the archive
bit (or both) that caused the problem.

73 - Dave N3RD