[Dxspider-support] Local Serial Connection

Filip Jonckers fjonckers at Interconnect.be
Tue Nov 12 10:44:19 GMT 2002

Hi John,

I have almost the same thing but I would advise you not to use a serial port connection but
an ethernet card - that makes it much easier to do ...
I have a perl script which you can use to connect CT to the cluster...

Filip
on1afn

	-----Original Message-----
	From: John Spigel [mailto:#jms at 99main.com]
	Sent: Tue 11/12/2002 4:11 AM
	To: dxspider-support at dxcluster.org
	Subject: [Dxspider-support] Local Serial Connection

	I'm trying to set up a local serial port connection for the
	CT logging software. The spider linux box runs RH 7.3, with
	ttyS1 for RF, and ttyS0 for the serial connection to my
	windows box.  I am using a standard null modem ('laplink')
	cable. I've editted the inittab file as described in the
	admin manual and ran telinit q.  I am trying to read between
	the lines... do I need to initialize the connection in some
	way? How does the linux box know I'm on the serial port in
	order to send the login prompt?  Is there a cron file I must
	edit to wake up the port? I've tried the same routine with
	RH 6.2 after rpm-ing agetty.  No luck there either. Could
	the cable be the problem? I am using hyperterminal to test
	the communication.

	Thank you.

	73, John W1AN
	http://dxusa.net