[Dxspider-support] AX25 setup

Billie & Dave Wilson n4dw at chartertn.net
Sun Nov 17 05:44:28 GMT 2002

Still dogging the Linux system, only have enlisted the aid of a longtime linux user.

My Geru has made it through the AX25 setup to 3.9 - node.conf at which time he asked "what kind of node are we setting up?"  And I couldn't answer that question.

So I looked through chapter 3 and decided I didn't know what the goals were for the chapter.

3.5 axports - setting up two rf ports.  This is more like defining the ports.

3.6 nrports - setting up two netrom ports.  But why netrom ports?  Again, this looks like a definition.

3.7 nrbroadcast - sets up the netrom broadcast qualities.  But, points to the axports, not the nrports, huh??

3.8 ax25d.conf - control of incoming connections.  Since I haven't been able to follow the HOWTO very well, will let this ride for now.  Geru is confident he has this set ok.

3.9 node.conf - "For those of you that wish to run the node".  ??  This is where my Geru quizzed, "what node is this?  Spider node?  Netrom Node?  Digi node?  Do I need to set it up [yes, no]?"  All he got back was silence.  Now I remember why I requested the aid of my Geru a while back.

If someone could guide me as to whether node.conf needs to be set up and if so, why, and which node this is, I'd be greatly appreciative.

The setup will have two 2 meter rf ports and will connect to another spider (k1xx) via the internet.  Running red hat 7.3 (I think).

Thanks,
Dave
n4dw at chartertn.net