[Dxspider-support] Almost there

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Oct 22 06:37:56 BST 2002

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:57:30PM -0500, David Tausworthe wrote:
> Opppss please dis-reguard the first of the email.  My finger are
> getting clumby (yes age has something to do with it - I HOPE)
> _________________________
>

> Hello Group!   Thank you so much for all of the assistance.  We have
> finally got the spider server running.
>
> But...Our last error is getting the permissions set right (we think).
>
> here is what we have setup in the group file:
>
>     sysop:x:506:k5pld,k5jtj,w5dav
>     spider:x:251:sysop,k5pld,k5jtj,w5dav,root
>
> In the DXVars.pm file
>
> 	# use CAPITAL LETTERS
> 	$mycall = "K5PLD-2";
>
> 	# your name
> 	$myname = "PARC";
>
> 	# Your 'normal' callsign (in CAPTTAL LETTERS)
> 	$myalias = "K5PLD";
>
> Yet..
> 	When we connect to the Spider
> 		and try to set/node or any other Sysop commands
>
> 		we get NOT ALLOWED

If you are connecting from a different computer, you will not have
sysop permissions until you issue the sysop command (see section 10.164
of the adminmanual).  I usually ssh into the box as sysop and run
console.pl, which gives me sysop privileges from the get-go. This won't
work over a packet connection (well, it might but encrypted packet
transmissions aren't legal in the U.S.)

Bob, N7XY