[Dxspider-support] telnet->telnet->remote cluster connection

Cormac J. Gebruers cjgebruers at 4c.ucc.ie
Fri Apr 11 14:29:52 BST 2003

Hello all,

I am using DXSpider as an invisible 'bridge' between two other clusters.
Its running at my work qth on a Windows 2000 workstation. Cluster A is
hooked in via telnet Cluster B is hooked in via an RF link.

My problem concerns the telnet connection to Cluster A.

Network policy here dictates that telnet connections to the outside
world are possible only from a single server (running Red Hat linux).

To connect to Cluster A via telnet I must (1) Telnet to our server and
(2) Initiate a further telnet  to connect to Cluster A

Problem:
======

I have a script that attempts to do this. Unfortunately its failing at
the first hurdle. When I initiate the first telnet connection by sending

'connect telnet <localserver> 23'

DXSpider appears to initiate a telnet connection but then I get

connect 15: expecting: "login:" received: "%FF%FD%18%FF%FD
%FF%FD#%FF%FD'"

i.e. DXSpider isn't seeing readable text coming from the server.

I reiterate DXSpider is running on my Windows 2000 workstation and the
particular server is running Red Hat Linux. Port 23 is currently the
only port on which I can go in, though this might be negotiable if the
special echo negotiation on 23 is the cause of the problem.

Any insights?

Cormac, EI4HQ
Cork, Ireland