[Dxspider-support] basic Perl programming question

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 18:43:59 BST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 18:19, Brendan Minish wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> 	I have been experimenting with adding my own user command to do
> SH/FDX
>
> I have created a new command called FDX which is a copy of the existing DX
> command with a new sub near the begining to define the output format to be used
>
> sub formatf
> {
> 	my $t = ztime($_[2]);
> 	my $d = cldate($_[2]);
> 	return sprintf "DX de %-7.7s%11.1f  %-12.12s %-s $t", "$_[4]:", $_[0],
> $_[1], $_[3] ;
> }
>

> I have never done any perl before so please forgive this basic question,
>
> How do I position $t (the time variable ) a fixed no of characters from the
> beginning?

To make it the same, copy the code from Spot::formatl (in Spot.pm)

But the above code isn't reliable and isn't portable.

The best way to do this is actually to have another option on the sh/dx
command line and then alias that as sh/fdx

Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to
Exist or Will Exist Only in a Vague and Undetermined State.