[Dxspider-support] No chat?

Dave Court EI3IO at connogue.com
Tue Aug 12 17:11:11 BST 2003

Gunnar
I'm glad that the issue of Loggernet has been raised! I was very
interested in your comment concerning filtering of CHAT PC12s and I'd
like to know how to filter these as distinct from normal ANNOUNCE PC12s.
I run a node with 4, 1200 Baud RF ports. One port provides a marginal
1200 Bd RF link to a distant AK1A node and every Tuesday night Loggernet
really causes problems. This channel is also used for APRS and normal
network linking so superfluous traffic needs to be kept to a minimum. So
my question is, how can you filter CHAT PC12s in the Hop Table (or
anywhere else) without stopping normal ANNOUNCE PC12s. And is there not
a way of stopping such chat messages (especially those that are regional
in nature) from propagating all over the network?

Sorry to cast a negative view on the CHAT development but I think it
does have some disadvantages for the 'older' 1200 Baud RF network,
unless I'm totally ignorant (which I probably am) of the filtering
arrangements.
73s Dave

Gunnar Widell (HF/ESE) wrote:
> The pretty new CHAT mode is not much used.
> Maybe some extra information in your motd file could help to get more users interested and see the benefits of this powerful command.
>
> The growing number of announcements and DX-spots with talk, is really messing up the information.
> Still lots of users think of the DX-cluster, as the DX-summit and have no clue about the the "real" source. If we could get more people connected the "real-way", talk and CHAT could be used in a proper way.
>
> Also some linking between the CONVERSE network and the cluster could probably be done.
> So please, sysops first of all: JOIN #9000
> and then inform your users about CHAT.
> Chat group 14345, is perfekt for "VHF-skeds" etc.
>
> As you migth have seen, the group LOGGERNET is frequently used every tuesday nigth. The VHF logging program LOGGER by SM0LCB, has implemented the use of CHAT to exchange log-information between users.
>
> Remember that it is possible to FILTER these CHAT PC12 if you need to save bandwith on radiolinks etc.
>
> 73 de Gus, SM3SGP
> sk3w.shacknet.nu 8000

This Email comes from Dave Court - EI3IO, G3SDL, OZ3SDL
QTH (Grid) Locator - IO63WF
Web Site: http://EI3IO.com
EI7SDX:SHANDX DX packet cluster web site: http://shandx.ath.cx
Cluster Access telnet://shandx.ath.cx:5000
Node Access telnet://shandx.ath.cx:9023
QSL address: 'Connogue', River Lane, Shankill, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Fax: +353 1 272 2059
Professional Web Site: http://connogue.com