[Dxspider-support] Problems with command " dx by "

Ian J Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Mon Dec 29 15:11:54 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 14:24, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> The issue for me is the 'state' information, routing and message (as in
> mail) handling. Trying to maintain a map of users on nodes has (and
> continues) to drive me mad. This is the fundamental reason why we cannot
> happily 'talk' to each other.

So how does a user see if a friend is online?  Is this simply dealt with
on request by a broadcast of some kind?

> > The next question is as difficult.  If we go down this track, how is the
> > new code controlled.  By that I mean, how do we ensure that people
> > upgrade?  Leaving it to them may cause more problems than anything
> > else.  We have seen problems in the past due to sysops not updating
> > their software to fix bugs etc, indeed we have seen questions on here
> > from sysops seeing bugs that have already been fixed in CVS.  I guess
> > the real question is, should there be a control of any kind?  That one
> > is down to you Dirk I guess.
>
> I will have to split off that development into a different project or
> branch.
I was meaning whether we could force users to upgrade in someway?  This
would ensure that people were using the latest version.

> But the crucial difference is that, currently, all nodes are equal, in a
> new version all DXSpider nodes would be equal and all other nodes just a
> an input feed with limited output capability (just the actual DX,WWV,WX
> etc info). I would like that external nodes and their users would be be
> invisible (and vice versa), at least for any non-local nodes/users (so I
> will live with directly connected nodes and their local users).
So can I still request a list of nodes/users?  Is this just done by a
broadcast or something?

Ian
Ian Maude G0VGS Morecambe Lancs UK | ian at gb7mbc.net
Sysop of GB7MBC, the Morecambe Bay Cluster
Running Linux and DXSpider

Find out about Summits on the Air!
Visit the SOTA web site at http://www.sota.org.uk