[Dxspider-support] Telnet issues - Suggestions needed

Kelly Jones kjones at sullivan1.com
Wed Feb 5 20:12:29 GMT 2003

Hello Everyone,

Well, after mony months of contemplation, I finally decided to convert
the DX-Central telnet cluster to Spider.

I have run into something interesting, however.  Currently, I have 3 ports
open to telnet connections, 23 (users), 4222 (node-node only) and 6904
(very old legacy port).  Yes, kind of overkill to have so many ports open,
but it seems there are a LOT of clients out there that use some of the
"legacy" ports, so I can't justify shutting them down.

Here's what I noticed today.  When telnetting to port 23, I kept getting
"invalid callsign" after inputting my callsign.  However, port 4222 and
6904 let me in just fine.  A little investigation leads me to believe this
may be a client issue.  I typically use SecureCRT for nearly all of my
Windows based telnet and SSH connections.  When I use the default windows
terminal program (ack!), I am able to log into port 23 with no problems.
I am also able to login to port 23 from a Linux shell as well as using the
Netterm terminal program.

Spider is running under Linux Slackware (7.1 I think).  I am not using
Spider to "listen" on the three ports, I have inetd services accepting the
connections.  The unusual thing is that with SecureCRT I simply can't
login on port 23, yet I am able to login on 4222 and 6904.

I was just about to bring Spider online to completely replace my current
telnet box, but having port 23 act a little flakey has postponed this
change until I can figure out a solution.

Anyone experience this before?  If you would like to try your client with
my box, I'd appreciate any feedback.  The address (temporarily) is
spider.dx-central.com.

Any help in resolving this issue would be great.

73
Kelly - KE9KD
http://www.dx-central.com