[Dxspider-support] Spider Client login - Port 23 revisited

Kelly Jones kjones at sullivan1.com
Thu Feb 6 23:36:43 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,

I have done some poking around with the client.c source and found the
following....

If I attempt to login to port 4222 or 6904 everything appears to work
correctly.  However, when using port 23 I get unpredictable results.

Login attempts with both KE9KD and KE9KD-8 result in "invalid callsign".  I
modified the C code slightly to see where the hangup was.  Below is the
modified code.

                 case WAITLOGIN:
                         for (i = 0; i < mp->size; ++i) {
                                 UC ch = mp->data[i];
                                 if (i < MAXCALLSIGN) {
                                         if (isalpha(ch))
                                                 ++hasa;
                                         if (isdigit(ch))
                                                 ++hasn;
                                     if (isalnum(ch) || ch == '-')
                                                 callsign[i] = ch;
                                         else
                                                 die("invalid
callsign");  <---- Appears to fail validation here
                                 } else
                                         die("Invalid Callsign");

I'm not a C coder, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.  I looks
like a test for Alpha and Digits in the callsign, but not sure exactly what
it's doing.

Is anybody else running spider on port 23?  If so, did you get it to run
out of the box?  Surely somebody has had success on port 23???  Anybody?
;-)  And why would port 23 act differently even though all ports call the
same executable....

Thanks,
Kelly - KE9KD
http://www.dx-central.com