[Dxspider-support] Interesting tidbit on auto-restart

K1EA k1ea at contesting.com
Fri Feb 21 20:19:04 GMT 2003

After running Spider and Linux for three continuous months with no reboot, I
had to shutdown Linux because the power company was doing some maintenance.
On reboot, Spider failed to come up, although I *know* the last time I
booted it worked.

My inittab line:

DX:3:respawn:/bin/su -c "/usr/bin/perl -w /spider/perl/cluster.pl sysop >
/dev/null

The failure was a lack of permission to write /dev/null. It turns out
Mandrake Link V9 has some funky security process that "adjusts" the access
to certain files "for my own good." /dev/null was owned by root and
restricted to access by group root.

Go figure.

- Ken K1EA

PS: Yes, I run at level three because I have no monitor or keyboard on the
box.