[Dxspider-support] Connection problem with qrz.com

Dale Harwood dale at harwood.com
Sat Feb 22 01:22:33 GMT 2003

Iain Philipps wrote:

>>Lookups with sh/qrz seem to have stopped working and I get the
>>following response:
>>
>>Cannot connect to QRZ.com (No such file or directory)
>>
>>Connecting to qrz with a browser still works as normal.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

> If you look at what the error actually is, it's "unknown host: u2.qrz.com"
> Perhaps someone has "improved" the DNS records for qrz.com :-)
>

> I would suggest, therefore, that resolution of this is beyond your personal
> control.
>

> Regards     -     Iain

I just fixed the two nodes that I assist with. Time will tell if this
"fix" will continue to work  (-;

copy  /spider/cmd/show/qrz.pl to /spider/cmd/show/qrz.pl.original
just in case we make a mistake while making our changes.

edit the file /spider/cmd/show/qrz.pl

and change lines 18 and 21 where they say u2.qrz.com ; change it to read

www.qrz.com

and save it. No restarting of the node is needed.

##DISCLAIMER## I am in no way a programmer and could not write a perl script if my

life depended on it (-:

Item # 2

While I am posting, I would like to share our first experience with a
contest and Spider. We switched a little over a year ago to a Linux
based cluster so we could have i-net connectivity. It ran OK but during
times of high traffic, ie contests, it would fall as far as 45 minutes
behind. Installing a higher horsepower computer did not help at all. One
of our users found Spider and apporached us with it. Long story short,
it has been up for a month, never even hinted at getting behind during
the contest, even with the rf channel on the verge of constant key down.
My hat is off to Dirk and everyone else that is involved with this
package. Good Stuff !

Thanks for the bandwidth,

--

  Dale Harwood   [ N4VFF ]