[Dxspider-support] QRZ.com suggestion

Martin Davies G0HDB g0hdb at amdavies.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 21:06:06 GMT 2003

On 24 Feb 2003 at 9:40, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> Gentlemen
>
> I don't want to be a party pooper or else stop you doing things that
> seem reasonable, but...
>
> It is license condition of the use of qrz.com that each user
> individually registers and connects in his own callsign (or that of
> his node). Cross connection is specifically banned.
>
> Now, someone raised this with him recently and annoyed him
> sufficiently to make him suggest that he starts changing $50+/year per
> node! That seems to have gone away (although to be honest, he has a
> point).

Dirk's interpretation of Fred AA7BQ's response to my enquiry about remote
access to qrz.com is very different to mine.

Nowhere in Fred's emails to me did he indicate that he was 'annoyed' by my
enquiry about having remote access; exactly the opposite in fact.  He said
that he was happy to give explicit permission for QRZ lookup requests to be
forwarded via a DXSpider node to GB7DXC (an AK1A node), on payment of
a $50 annual fee.  This, in my view, is fair and entirely reasonable - it's
significantly cheaper than buying a Buckmaster CD every few months, it
supports someone who has done an excellent job in providing a valuable
facility, and it doesn't smack of 'freeloading'.

The matter has 'gone away' because despite a couple of reminders Dirk
either forgot or couldn't be bothered to respond to my requests and
suggestions about how remote access to qrz.com might be implemented
using PC44/45 messages between the 'host' DXSpider node and a remote
node.

73
--
Martin, G0HDB