[Dxspider-support] More about routing.

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 03:58:21 GMT 2003

Well...

I have had an inspiration. It is going to annoy one or two people but
there are ways around that. The basic idea is this:-

1. 'Passive' links don't broadcast users.
2. Therefore ignore all nodes that don't broadcast user PC16 sentences
   UNTIL they actually send one.
3. Enable nodes as they come across with a PC16 (and prepend the
   appropriate PC19 before the PC16 when broadcasting that sentence
   onwards).
4. Once a node is enabled it stays enabled and you won't notice any
   difference in sentence output. For each *new* PC16 node you will
   see a separate PC19 go out beforehand. "Stuttering" I call it.
5. You can manually set/routepc19 <node> for any of your "not very
   busy but will get very upset" node sysops who only have a user in
   every other week.

This is now in CVS for testing. I have it up and running on GB7BAA, WR3D
and GB7DJK.

Hopefully this will cause a fairly large cleanout of old nodes. Whether
it will help with the looping is another matter. I have done some
changes to see whether that improves as well.

I am working up to a 1.52 release so now is the time to tidy up any
manuals, lose ends etc.

Please remember that you (linux users) will require Storable.pm very
soon (the changes I have made today don't require it, but the ones I
will make soon *will*). I am trying to give you plenty of warning.

Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to
Exist or Will Exist Only in a Vague and Undetermined State.