[Dxspider-support] Nubie Questions

Dave Ward dward at kos.net
Fri Mar 14 23:03:19 GMT 2003

Steve:

I have recently gone through the similar exercise to what you are proposing.
Here are my answers to some of your questions.

1. I use Redhat 7.3. Seems to work quite well. We have been operating for about
3 weeks with no problems. I also have an IRLP node at my QTH with Redhat 6.2
for about 18 months with absolutely no problems.

2. My node runs behind a Linksys Router/Firewall/NAT box. I opened 1 telnet
port for users to connect from the Internet.

3. I think the biggest problem will be what is the minimum vintage hardware
required to support the distro you select. I believe the requirements for the
application will be relatively small compared to running the OS.

5. I would be willing to help by passing along what I learned. I found the task
of getting AX25 up and running to be a bit troublesome. All of the information
is in the documentation AX25-HOWTO, Linux-Kernel-HOWTO, etc. but it was a bit
tedious to sort out. Of course in hindsight everything is crystal clear.

Dave
VE3BIP