[Dxspider-support] newbie sysop

Mike McCarthy, W1NR sysop at w1nr.net
Sat Apr 24 13:43:40 BST 2004

I had telnet issues with a certain model of SMC broadband router.  I was
using a 7004BR just fine on my DSL line.  When I upgraded it to a
7004ABR (a later model that supported IPsec), inbound telnet connections
would not stay up more than about an hour.  I have gone back to the
older model ever since.  (I no longer need IPsec support).

Another issue I had is with the DSL line from Earthlink/Covad.
Sometimes the line would get shut down for short periods of time.
Usually this occurred in the early morning hours, so I assume it is for
maintenance of some kind.  When the line came back up, sometimes I would
not get my assigned fixed IP address until I waited for a while and
restarted the connection.  I complained about it and have not seen a
wrong IP address since!

Be aware that any connection with few exceptions are susceptible to line
maintenance without notice.  It had been occurring with some frequency
soon after I got my line installed.  It appears that things have
stabilized at the CO that requires less maintenance than it did when I
started.  Maybe fewer DSL installations going on or they have added more
equipment and the stuff I am connected does not need to be modified as
often.

Mike, W1NR