[Dxspider-support] Pinging distant clusters

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 08:49:29 BST 2004

What build are you using?

All DXSpider nodes have (for some considerable time) pinged their
immediate neighbours. They do this to determine whether the other node
is up. A connection is not reliable evidence of "upness" by itself.

In the latest builds, in an attempt to get node lists back to something
approaching reality, I have put in a facility which attempts to check
whether a route, for a node further away, offered by a neighbour node is
"believable".

This means that when a PC19 comes in, it and any other routing
information that appears subsequently is stored, a ping is sent to that
node and, if a reply is received, then that node is marked as believable
and its routing information released.

If no ping is received within a timeout period then all the routing info
is discarded, the node is marked "not believable" and all routing info
from that node is discarded.

Because this, potentially, is pretty draconian + experimental + routing
conditions change + I may not have got the algorithm right yet: there is
a timeout. After this timeout (actually for all nodes, believed or not),
when route info next comes in, a ping is sent to check whether there is
(still) a route.

Currently, again because I am trying to get an optimum set of routes,
that timeout is set to 12 hours (ie 1 ping every 12 hours IF (and only
IF) you receive routing information from that node.

If it causes you a problem you can increase it by doing:

set/var $DXProt::investigation_int = 86400 * 5

in the system startup script (for 5 days, which was the original
default).

However it has to be said, one ping at a minimum of 12 hours isn't
exactly as annoying as a whole slew of spurious, inaccurate and out of
date routing information - which just keeps coming. If you didn't get
(multiple copies) of their useless routing information - you wouldn't be
sending them pings!

My inclination might just be to say something pithy to people that
complain!

73 Dirk G1TLH