[Dxspider-support] Log rotate & database question

Rick Morris ve3kyg at rac.ca
Sat Aug 28 13:17:14 BST 2004

Hi all,

I've had my DX Cluster node running solid for a while now with only one
little detail left to fix up.  I was looking at the log files in
/spider/data/log/2004. I currently have two. One is named 07.dat (I
assume for July) and one is named 08.dat (I assume for August). The
07.dat seems to no longer be in use and 08.dat is getting rather large
and I believe is causing the show/log command to become very slow.  Is
there a way to automatically 'rotate' these logs so that I can keep them
reasonably small?  I would like to rotate them weekly if possible. Also,
can I delete these files once they are no longer used? How do I view the
data that is in the old file(s)? I checked the mailing list archive and
the on-line docs and  didn't find anything.

As well, I see in the docs that databases can be created, however, it
does not explain what purpose the databases would serve. Could someone
please enlighten me?

Thanks & 73,
Rick

--