[Dxspider-support] Setting System HW Clock

Bill Shell n6ws at charter.net
Tue Dec 14 17:41:19 GMT 2004

Hello All,

This may be a little off-topic for those with local Linux systems or Windows
systems, but...

I have had a problem with the hardware clock drifting on a few of the remote
systems I administer.  I was keeping the system time accurate by
synchronizing with Internet time, but on a system restart the time would
revert back to the hardware clock time.  I was not aware I could set the
hardware clock until I came across this article in the Linux Gazette:
http://linuxgazette.net/108/park1.html

I have now made similar routines that daily set the system time to Internet
time and then sync the hardware clock to the system time.  This fixed the
problem of having the hardware clock set the system time incorrectly on
startup.  This is particularly helpful since the three of the DXSpider
systems are about 160 miles away and a fourth system is about 70 miles away.

I hope this information can help anyone having a similar problem.  If anyone
needs specific information, please don't hesitate to ask.

73, Bill
N6WS