[Dxspider-support] Question

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 20:08:43 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:21 -0800, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 01:38:26PM -0500, Ian Morrison wrote:
> > Is there anyway I can access the linux via a dialup modem. I would like to
> > be able to do periodic maintenance on the cluster, via the telephone rather
> > than drive up to the remote site. It is not connected to the internet.
> > Spots come via rf from another DXSp.
> >
> > I hope there is an obvious answer!
> >

> You can configure getty or mgetty to have a modem answer the phone and
> give you a login shell.

Mgetty is designed for the job. It can be configured to do all sorts of
magic things (including answering faxes, starting up ppp etc). It has
extensive documentation.

See:

http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Modem-HOWTO-12.shtml
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/mgetty.html
http://www.tihlde.org/~toreo/mgetty+ppp.html

and the man pages. It also comes with a load of documentation
in /usr/share/doc/mgetty*.