[Dxspider-support] what am i missing ??

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 01:44:49 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 17:30 -0800, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
> why cant users that are portable such as w4/vp9kf log
> in using w4\vp9kf or w4/vp9kf?? is there something i
> need to change ??

Because, historically, '/' characters are not allowed in callsigns in
ax25 + there was the 6 character length restriction. Also, because I
think that it will break some other software, it is not allowed.

If someone convinces me that it won't cause a problem, it is easy enough
to add. Just beware, that in this case, I have been bitten before by
being too liberal and broken other software, so I will need a deal of
convincing.

Dirk G1TLH