[Dxspider-support] RCMD ?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 20:36:28 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 20:22, Robert Chalmas wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> As I received no answer to this question I asked at the end of
> a message on another topic, here is it again :
>
> When trying to do a RCMD to nodes not directly connected to mine
> (HB9IAC-8), I got the response "your attempt is logged, Tut tut tut !".
> I understand that some security is needed to avoid that any sysop can
> do what he want on the other nodes, but would it not be a good thing
> that at least show commands would be allowed, as they are in AK1A
> software with the RSH command ?

All nodes have privileges to do user commands, provided that someone
hasn't done a set/priv 0 HB9IAC-8. Now, having said that, your problem
is almost certainly one of routing, rather than privilege.

Basically, there are checks in the software to check that an rcmd has
come in on an interface that has your node known on it (RSPF checks).
The usual reason that this message happens is that the RCMD comes in
some other interface that is 'impossible'. This is an unfortunate
consequence of the massively looped network we now have.

This is one of the things that the work I now doing is designed to
address. It is one of the problems with the current protocol in the
environment within which we now use it.

Dirk G1TLH