[Dxspider-support] changing node names

Steven Franke s-franke at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 2 04:58:00 BST 2004

Hello Dirk and all -

I occasionally find myself changing the name associated with my node
(K9USA) back to Steve, after finding that I have been renamed
"Secondary Feed" or, most recently, simply "Tertiary". I prefer the
name that I gave to my node, and I'd like to be able to "lock it in",
or at least protect it from the whims of other sysops.

I believe that this happens because it is permissible for a sysop to
enter, for example:

spoof <some_callsign> set/name <some_name>

i.e., any sysop can change the name of any user/node in the database,
and that change will propagate through the network.

Would it be reasonable to disallow {spoof <callsign> set/name} unless
{<callsign> is that of the user who issued the command}?

Barring that, how about: disallow {spoof K9USA set/name} !

-- Steve, K9AN (Spider nodes: K9CW, K9USA)