[Dxspider-support] QRZ lookups

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 14:07:28 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:42, A. J. Cioffi wrote:
> That's right ! I keep forgetting about that one.  What about a foreign
> database though?

In principle, I believe, there are a number of foreign databases
available - if you ask the right people correctly, but experience shows
that it ain't easy (I tried once). Even if you do that: what you get
isn't necessarily up to date (outside of the US). As I have commented
before: the current callbook entry for G1TLH is nearly a year out of
date.

However, the global (non US) coverage is not complete AFAIK, so quite a
lot of manual work is still required, also QRZ has become *the* place
where DX stations put their details - themselves.

Personally, it would not stress me over much to pay a contribution to
Fred's running costs (which include two T1 lines, machinery and his
time). It just depends on the level.

I have yet to come across a more comprehensive, global, source of
callsign information. People should think *very* carefully about what
they are getting into before trying to put up a rival service. I did
some research, thought about it and came to an arrangement with Fred.

Fred is on record as saying that he is going to continue giving access
to us. So give him a chance - the service is free, he can do it when he
is ready.

**HOT NEWS**

>From Fred:

"Please relay to everybody that there is a software glitch and that
I am working on it at this time. Expect to see it working later
today."

Dirk G1TLH
--
Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Message, It May Cease to