[Dxspider-support] Spider mail

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 22:00:13 BST 2004

Mail does not work with AR-C (unless the author has bitten the bullet
and fixed his implementation). Basically the problem is in the way that
the callsigns are used in the various mail oriented PC sentences.

They are (or at least - were - two years ago when I last looked) just
plain wrong and fundamentally incompatible with my implementation (which
is known to work with other software including AK1A). Unfortunately for
me, AK1A will talk to AR-C, but this only really works works by
accident. If it checked its sentences a bit more rigorously it wouldn't
work.

Having said all that (and got it off my chest), I am a bit surprised to
see the batching up. Are you sure that you are still in something like
'converse' mode? Both linux and Windows implementations are known to
talk to AK1A boxes using AX25 and that too has the problem that it needs
one packet for each PC sentence (or at least that was the experience
reported on here several years ago).

What are you using to connect? What operating system are you using?

Can you do a set/debug raw and send me a complete conversation for a
mail message?

As I said earlier, this has all the signs of the AR-C mail problem that
I am aware of. But it may be something new. I need more input to
determine what is going on.

As an aside, I am slightly surprised that batching is a problem, because
using TCP connections, particularly at startup, batching will occur a
lot.

Dirk G1TLH