[Dxspider-support] Feature Request

Robert Chalmas rchalmas at users.ch
Fri Dec 23 22:19:36 GMT 2005

Lee Sawkins wrote:

> However, the only privacy we seem to be protecting is the pirate's.  If
> the pirate is quick enough he can disconnect and you can't easily find
> out his IP address.  A non-sysop or non-privileged user can easily find
> out the IP address of any connected user by a simple "who".  It is only
> after a user disconnects that his information becomes protected.

But dont' expect too much from the logged IP addresses.
With this method, you will catch only beginners.
Hackers know very well how to hide their real IP address
(well, I don't know which category "our" pirates belong to...).

For me, the only (more or less) efficient solution is to close the door
to pirates by requiring an authentication on all nodes. Well, I know that
hackers can also crack passwords; but if "real" passwords are used and
can't be changed by the user to something easy to guess, that's quite
a time consuming task.

Greetings,             Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
    email:        rchalmas at users.ch    AX-25: HB9BZA @ HB9IAP