[Dxspider-support] Dx Spider & ARC same computer.

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 12:43:15 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 09:50 +0000, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 01:07 -0800, Lee Sawkins wrote:
> > For anyone who is interested, I am running Dx Spider (VE7CC-1) and AR
> > Cluster (VE7CC) in the same computer.  Win 2000 Pro.  Athlon 1600+ with
> > 256 MB of RAM.  High speed cable internet.
>
> > I wrote an application that goes between a cluster and the Internet.  It
> > completely prevents the "you are already connected" problem.  When it
> > detects the same call trying to reconnect, it will disconnect the old
> > link.  This application allows remote monitoring of any user connecton
> > to the cluster.  It also allows locking out of specific IP addresses.  I
> > am running two instances of this program in the computer.
> >

> I shall add a flag that allows sysops to choose whether they will allow
> the bumping off of existing instances of a callsign.

This is now done. It is also the default behaviour, so if a user comes
in and is already connected, the old connection will be disconnected
(with a message) and then login will proceed as normal.

> > I am also running another program I wrote called AR User.  It connects
> > to my AR Cluster and once per hour scans the message data base and
> > compares unread mail to the current users.  If it finds a match, it
> > sends them a talk messages telling them to read their mail.  It also
> > detects incoming Dx Spots where the spotted dx is a current user.  It
> > will send that user a talk message with the dx spot in it. This is in
> > case the user has his spot filters set to reject spots from the area
> > where he was spotted from.  As soon as I have time I will modify this
> > program to do the same with Dx Spider users.
>
> There is no particular reason why I can't scan the messages and do the
> same thing. It is easy enough. There were some reasons, years ago, where
> this might not have been ideal, but I was never really convinced.

So I have arranged for a 'New mail has arrived for you' message to come
out once an hour (as default).

The spots thing needs some thought. I may make this a user option.

All changes are now in CVS.

Dirk G1TLH