[Dxspider-support] Length of Comments

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 21 00:57:54 GMT 2005

Hi Dirk.

The length of the comments field in dx spots received by Dx Spider users
varies depending on the spot format.  CC11 comments are the longest,
SH/FDX are shorter and SH/DX are shorter still.  Some Cluster software
sends much longer comment fields.

Since the old text monitors could only display lines 80 characters or
less, this was chosen as the maximum length of a dx spot.  There is not
this limitation with my Windows program.  For CC11 spots at least, would
it be possible to increase this length?  I believe it is 34 characters
at present.  It could be as many as 50 characters or even longer and not
cause any problem with my program.   Many times the comments are chopped
off right in the middle of a word.

Lee VE7CC