[Dxspider-support] FEDORA 3 question

Mike McCarthy lists at w1nr.net
Thu Jun 9 14:29:40 BST 2005

I would highly recommend SuSE instead of FC3.

With SuSE, you don't have to rebuild the kernel to get the AX.25 functions.
They are included as modules.  FC3 requires you to reconfigure and rebuild
the kernel.  Not something that is an easy thing for a Linux newcommer to do
correctly.

Ham Radio Software is in the distribution and up to date.  With FC3, you
have to download RedHat 6.2 files and they are nowhere near as complete as
SuSE.

Perl is complete.  You just load the appropriate libraries during the
install.  That way you get updates through the update program Yast.

It is much easier to move from Windows to SuSE than it is to FC3.  The
administration interface is much more "Winblows" like.

SuSE Professional 9.2 is available for free through FTP install.  Read the
following file on how to do it
ftp://ftp.esat.net/mirrors/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.2/README.FTP

You can also buy the CD/DVD package from various sources.  I have used Red
Hat since it's earliest days and started out with my cluster on 7.3.  After
Red Hat went to Fedora, I decided to try SuSE.  It is a bit different to
manage and took some time to get used to, but I will never go back to Red
Hat.  In addition, FC3 is cutting (bleeding) edge software and can be
unstable at times.  With SuSE, they tend to release major updates after the
bugs have been worked out by the FC3 team.  They are a little bit behind
FC3, but are much more stable as a result.

SuSE 9.3 is available only in retail distribution at the moment.  FTP is
still promised but not on the mirrors yet.  In addition, the Ham software
(not the kernel, the modules are still shipped) was dropped from the direct
distribution, but is still maintained and updated as a "project".  It just
makes it a little less straightforward to download.

FTP install takes a long time to do and you need a high speed internet
connection.  It's unfortunate that they don't let you download the .iso
images anymore.

Mike, W1NR