[Dxspider-support] Hide sysop logins?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 12:47:33 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 07:31 -0400, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> At 11:29 PM 6/15/2005, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>
> >How can I make sysop logins invisible?  Someone who is connected to my node
> >could presumably figure out what the sysop callsign is if both are logged in.
>
> I set up a sysop password and am all set now.

Perhaps I had better just run through some of the issues as a reminder:-

1. Without a password, only users that are logged into and running
processes on the box running the dxspider software can have sysop
privileges automatically. When I say logged in, I mean to the operating
system, not dxspider.

This means you are either logged into and communicating with the
"console" of the box that is running the dxspider software or you are
doing the equivalent (eg: logged in via ssh or running vnc/pcanywhere).

You can only get sysop privileges (without a password) by telnet
localhost or using one of the console programs (such as console.pl).

Telnetting via a network (without a password), via radio or wire, will
allow you to get into dxspider but you will only have "normal" user
privileges.

2. In order to get sysop privileges from a remote connection, you will
need to enter a password either at the login: prompt (if coming in via
telnet) or the sysop command (via radio) once you are logged in.

3. Actually you can use the sysop command even when you have logged in
via telnet. It doesn't know what sort of connection you are coming in
on.

Hope this helps.

Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>