[Dxspider-support] Cluster hangs

Kelly Jones kelly at dxcentral.com
Sat Mar 5 23:29:32 GMT 2005

Hi guys,

I seem to have an issue somewhere.  For whatever reason, DX Spider just
seems to 'hang' for no apparent reason.  I noticed this during the ARRL CW
contest a couple of weeks ago and it appears to be doing it again during
the phone contest.

If I try to enter any command or even a simple carriage return, I get no
response on the screen.  If I try to telnet in, I am connected, but never
greeted with the 'welcome' message.

If I let the cluster continue to run, eventually (anywhere from 10 to 30
minutes later) it will 'break loose' and spew the last x minutes of data to
the screen all at once.  Once this happens the cluster appears to hang once
again and we repeat the symptoms as above.

If it tail the .dat file in the /spider/data/debug/2005/xxx.dat, there is
no activity being written to this file when the cluster is
'hung'.  However, once it 'lets go', all of the activity is written at once.

The only way to 'reset' the cluster is to restart it.  Once a restart
happens, it's good for a while at which time it eventually hangs again.

If I run a 'top', there appears to be almost 0 cluster activity and the box
is running at 99% idle.  Currently running v1.51 build 58.323.

I never had this problem with the old cluster which was running code base
from about two years ago, but for whatever reason this new box isn't
performing very well.

Any ideas what could be causing my 'hang'?

73
Kelly - N0VD