[Dxspider-support] Cluster hangs

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 14:57:09 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 09:16 -0500, T3 wrote:
> I think were going tin the wrong direction with this
> the problem are the hangups, hangups are caused from extreme fast access
> of cluster files, and the slow perl.
>  *if* thats what the problem is, im seeing more excess traffic slam the
> cluster
> while its trying to process spots

Could I just point out that, over several years now, that DXSpider has
been the only software that has managed to keep up and stay up during
CQWW. There are nodes out there with more than 100 users during this
contest. They cope.

> ive been watching backbone traffic and the PC16 and 17 are out of
> control along with dupe file access
> its next to impossible to RF backbone link now even at 9.6K to another
> cluster, My 9.6K radio is
> having trouble with the excess backbone fat. If this don't get cleared
> up. I'll be forced to Jump
> ship to another flavor of cluster. to try to save these expensive radio
> equipment.

If PC16/17s are truly your problem then other cluster software is not
going to help as they all use PC16/17 (compatibility issue, you see); I
would also say that the 'dupefile' is the only thing that is stopping it
all just falling down in a hopeless mess. You could try doing some
careful route filtering which will reduce (and maybe eliminate) loops.
The only alternative you have is (probably)  DXSpider 2 running Aranea
protocol. And since this is in restricted alpha testing only, that may
be a problem.

> what ive been seeing for a year now in windows (and dealing with it) is
> now going on in Linux Clusters

What have you been seeing and dealing with and how has it been affecting
windows stuff?

Dirk G1TLH